Why Choose Custom Silicone Gasket Applications?
If you manufacture parts or components that need seals or gaskets, you have a wide range of materials to choose from. However, many companies today are finding a lot of benefits when they use custom silicone gasket applications. Here is more information on these products and some of the good things they have to offer.
What are Silicone Seals?
Silicone is a synthetic rubber that is a polymer. Polymers are materials with long-chained molecules (like rubber), and it gives them flexibility and other important properties. In the manufacturing process, liquid synthetic rubber is cured or vulcanized, and it can be made into foam or sponge rubber. It is sometimes injection molded, and it’s possible to create custom silicone gasket applications to fit many environments and materials.
Synthetic silicone rubber forms an excellent seal against moisture. In fact, it’s commonly used to make things water resistant or water tight. It repels water, so it doesn’t get saturated or weaken when exposed to wet environments. Here are some more benefits to consider:
* Little to no distortion when exposed to heat – many kinds of rubber products become soft or even melt when heated. However, silicone rubber has excellent thermal stability, and some products can be used in areas as hot as 250 degrees Celsius (482 F). It is often used in automotive engine applications and other areas with high heat.
* Insulation – if you need to insulate materials from electrical circuits, custom silicone gaskets are excellent choices. Even in water, its insulating properties stay consistent.
* Flame resistant – silicone rubber does not easily burn or catch fire.
* Chemical resistant – resists many chemicals including gasoline and other petroleum products. This makes it a favorite material for many industrial applications.
* Remains flexible at cold temperatures – does not get brittle or break when exposed to the cold.